• question-icon

Suggest ways to wean off of Metoprolol

Posted on Mon, 10 Jul 2017 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: Can I safely titrate myself off Metaprolol? I was prescribed it due to hyperthyroidism never took it prior to Graves dx
I typed a history of dx and TX but it disappeared here. I was dx'd thyrotoxicosis early Nov 2016, given Metoprolol for heart protection. Methimazole stabilized my thyroid in 4 weeks but I had a reaction. I was euthyroid. Labs indicated in April 2017 my thyroid was becoming hyper again. I was prescribed I-131, had it this past Thursday. I want to know if I can safely assume my thyroid is not hyper and I can safely titrate myself off the beta blocker. I don't like taking any meds. I am guessing I will be hypothyroid and the beta blocker is slowing me down too much. I am not feeling well, I feel flu like , guess that is to be expected. I have an appointment with my Endocrinologist in 4 weeks. THANK YOU. Main question
OK to slowly wean myself off metaprolol 25mg X's 2 daily
Answered by Dr. Mirjeta Guni 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
About hyperthyroidism treatment;

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for asking!
I have gone carefully through your concern.
Usually metoprolol is given during the first 4 weeks of the diagnosis, to improve the symptoms until the therapy (carbimazol) starts it' s effect.
Once the thyroid hormones are within the normal range and the symptoms of hyperthyroidism are improved , there is no need for beta blockers.
You should confirm it with your treating physician.
Hope the information will help.
Kind regards,
Dr.Mirjeta
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Dr. Mirjeta Guni

Endocrinologist