What causes excessive sweating from the head?

Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin

Posted on Mon, 22 Aug 2016 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I am 65 years old and have excessive sweating, mainly from the head for a number of years now. Whenever I am doing anything physical, I start to seat and it literally pours off m,e. I end up looking like I just stepped out of the shower. I had my thyroid checked and was told it is normal. Do you have any idea what could cause this besides being post menopausal? It is very embarrassing.
Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Needs some more blood workup regarding hormonal profile

Detailed Answer:
Hi! Welcome to health care magic! Thanks for sharing your concerns with us. We will try to help you in best way possible. First of all, it is sad to know about the troubles you have been facing lately. Since you have mentioned, that the thyroid profile was normal, It takes thyroid out of equation. However other hormonal or endocrine disorders which may present like this are carcinoid syndrome or pheochromocytoma though abscence of diarrhea for prolonged duration is against carcinoid bit weight loss of 10 pounds itself is a serious entity and should be worked up with in detail. EKG or preferably holter monitoring to look for spells of tachycardia or bradycardia or alternating pattern between increased BP with decreased BP and track of blood sugars should be ensured. A detailed examination by a medical specialist and to look for any abnormality or enlarged glands should be performed and basic blood work up like complete blood count, ESR and CRP should be done. Also keep a track record of weight and any other associated symptoms which appear later in the course of disease as this all can be of help and a regular follow up should be ensured because apart from being embarrassed due to your complaints, it needs to be worked up in detail too. Wishing you a speedy recovery. Hope this has answered your query, if you have any more questions, feel free to ask. Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Priyanka G Raj