• question-icon

What causes excessive hunger after eating food?

Posted on Tue, 11 Jul 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: hello, everytime I eat something I feel like I haven't eaten. for example yesterday I was so hungry that when I drank water I felt the water fall into my stomach. After I ate a meal I felt no different still felt as hungry as before I ate the meal. I am now also having some stomach pain. Medicines I am on are:cymbalta 20mg, xanax 0.25mg (as needed). Also noticed a little weight loss as well.
Answered by Dr. Sunil 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
hormonal problem.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for query.
I am a Gastroenterologist and would be taking your call.
Have gone carefully through your narration.
You have to understand the complete physiology of the problem.
Your stomach has receptors that send messages to your brain to tell it when you are full. Your stomach needs anywhere from 10 to 45 minutes to release the hormone cholecystokinin, which signals your brain that you are full.A problem with release of this hormone would hamper the connection cascade hence brain would not recieve proper signals.So despite of taking full meals you won't feel full.
On the other hand if body do not properly use the hormone leptin.
Leptin is associated with feelings of fullness and pleasure after eating.Normally, leptin interacts with your brain after a meal, and your brain sends a signal to stop eating. In patient with leptin resistance,body may not accurately interpret the signals for feelings of fullness. As a result, patient may not feel full after eating.

So initially i would strongly recoomend you to consult your gastroenterologist and get levels of these hormones checked.
Any further comment can be given only after knowing level of leptin and cholecystokinin in your blood.

Hope i answered your query well.
Please don't hesitate to follow up.
Thank you
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Sunil

Gastroenterologist