What causes excessive belching?
Explained in detail
Hello and welcome
Your concern is appreciated
Belching or burping (eructation) is volunatry or involuntary relaese of air through mouth from stomach or esophagus.
Most common causes are eating or drinking too quickly ,drinking carbonated drinks and anxiety
Burping 2-3times after eating is normal and is due to swallowed air.
Its possible to belch even when stomach is not full of air because it has become habit or a tool to try to reduce abdominal discomfort. As belching will relieve only discomfort assosiated with swallowing air it is not uncommon for people to attempt to relieve other abdominal discomforts in same way
Causes of belching includes
Aerophagia; voluntary or involuntary swallowing of air occurs in talking and eating at same time, chewing gum,drinking through straw,smoking ,anxiety attack
Foods like carbonated drinks, alcohol ,high starch containing foods sugar or fiber that cause gas ,beans lentils, broccoli, peäs ,onions etc
Medication like acarbose laxatives like lactulose and sorbitol , pain meds like naproxen ,ibuprofen and aspirin
medical conditions like GERD, gastroparesis, gastritis , peptic ulcers, lactulose intolerance , fructose or sorbitol malabsorption ,h pylori , pancreatic insufficiency.
If your stomach is distended and you are belching excessively then lying on side might help
any gastrointestinal abnormality should be ruled out
If anxiety is there that should be too adressed
Assosiated dyspepsia if found can be treates witb medication like PPIs prokinetics etc
Life style changes dietry modification will be help full
To sum up organic cause should be ruled out by proper investigation if your condition is not improving with dietry changes and medication then psychiatric consultation should also be considered.
wishing you best of health
Hope it will helps
Dr M.S Khalil.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What causes excessive belching with back pain
- What causes uncontrollable belching
- What is the cause and cure of continuos belching
- What causes heart pounding and belching
- What causes excessive belching after drinking
- Can a fibroid cause excessive belching
- What causes flatulence and belching
- What causes severe belching
- What causes belching in the morning
- What causes inability to belch
- What causes weight gain inspite of being on Effexor for depression?
- What does twinging sensation in and around stomach indicate?
- Suggest treatment for pressure under lower left rib cage
- Suggest treatment for scleroderma
- Is Stematil safe with Sertraline?
- What causes low MPV?
- Does drinking excess water lead to reduced kidney function?
- Does Claritin Redi medication cause lymphadenopathy?
- Can hepatitis-C be contracted through a cut wound in the hand?
- What causes numbness in legs and face after taking steroid injections in...