• question-icon

What causes chronic diarrhea, nausea and vomiting?

Posted on Mon, 17 Jul 2017 in General Health
Question: I am concerned about my 67 year old husband, he has no appetite, has been losing weight and has chronic diarrhea, nausea and recently vomiting accompanied by heartburn.
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
What disease condition is he being treated for?

Detailed Answer:

His list of medications raises the possibility of pancreatic insufficiency. If this is the case, indigestion is the reason for his persistent diarrhea. Persistent diarrhea and indigestion will inevitably lead to weight loss. In this case, I will ask for comprehensive stool analysis. If indigestion from enzyme lack is the reason, then treatment and diet should be adjusted to address this.

I will also like to hear from you about his past medical history including tobacco and alcohol use.

I hope to hear from you. I wish your husband well.

Waiting...
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Chobufo Ditah