What causes erectile dysfunction?

Dr. Ashok Kumar

Psychiatrist

Posted on Sat, 16 Aug 2014 in Sexual Health
Question: Hi, I am a 27 year old man. I had a fear of ED and consulted a doctor. He said the blood pumped by heart to penis is less and I have undergone treatment with him. Its almost 2 years back. Now I sometimes get the fear again. When I try to check it by thinking about intimate scene, I get erection but lose it out of fear or at once when I stop thinking about it. And also I feel its not hard enough. Please suggest.
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please elaborate following things

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX
Thanks for using healthcare magic.

Erectile dysfunction can be due to multiple factors and in your case it seems to be more of psychological problem than a organic problem. Psychological means there is no abnormality in the system but the excessive anxiety makes the penetration or erection impossible. Generally this is the most common cause of ED worldwide and fortunately it is treatable.

Before we proceed further I have few questions for you
1 Do you have any sexual experience in these years ?
2. If yes what was the result of intercourse
3. Do you get your penis erected while you come out of the bed or in early morning
4.Do you have erection while watching porn
5. Do you masturbate, if yes frequency per week
6. How long a single erection last for you?
7. Are you receiving any medication? If any please reason the prescription with doses and duration
8. Do you have any medical illness. If any describe in details.

Please revert with these details so I can primarily determine whether it is psychological or otherwise.
I hope to see you again.
Thanks and Regards
Dr Ashok
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Ashok Kumar 40 minutes later
Hello Doctor,

Replying to your queries,

- I had an year ago.

2. If yes what was the result of intercourse?
- 99% it had no problems.

3. Do you get your penis erected while you come out of the bed or in early morning?
-Sometimes yes and sometimes no.

-I used to. But, since I became conscious I get but find it difficult.

5. Do you masturbate, if yes frequency per week?
-Yes. Twice a month approx

-When I imagine sex, I have to concentrate hard to maintain erection. The moment I get fear I lose erection. apprx, 4-5 mins.

7. Are you receiving any medication? If any please reason the prescription with doses and duration.
- No.

- Uric acid level is high. Normal 3-7. Mine 8.

Also, Nano leo helped my erection. Please let me know if it is a permanent solution.
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It is not a permanent solution

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXXXX
Welcome back to me.

From the available description it appears to me that your problem is purely psychological and there is no problem with blood supply or anything which was explained to you by someone else. In the psychological issue you need to have treatment from a psychiatrist who will explain you methods to control stress and and fear which is the cause of problem.

NANO LEO is a herbal medicine claimed to be useful for sexual dysfunction. In my opinion it is not of much help. You can continue it if you have benefit from it. It does not have any notable side effects.

Also it is not a proven treatment to treat male sexual dysfunction.

'Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help".
Thanks

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari
Follow up: Dr. Ashok Kumar 19 minutes later
Hello again doctor,

Thank you for your suggestion. As you said its purely psychological and need to consult a psychiatrist, I would also like to tell you, I used to drink and smoke. During my treatment, the doctor told me to stop/reduce it. During the course and after that I actually quit drinking and smoking. But, in the last one year I started again. Drinking - weekly once approx and smoking - monthly 10 cigs approx.
Could that be a problem (Psychologically/physically, both)?
Brief Answer:
Substance abuse is always a problem for erection

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXXXX
Thanks again for reverting back to me.

What ever your doctor told about smoking and alcohol at the time of treatment stands true even today.
These substance affect your erection in all manner and there is absolute requirement to cut it down immediately. In our society many people feel that under the influence of alcohol you perform better in regard to sex but medically it is proven that it works in opposite direction.

Secondly many people start using alcohol or tobacco to overcome anxiety. They get short time relief but the underlying problem remains and it escalates with time. If you are also using alcohol and tobacco to manage stress than there is need to get help from a therapist to manage stress and stop using alcohol and tobacco.
Whatever the cause in your case the first thing you need to do is to cut down alcohol and tobacco. If problem persists after that than it is better to seek help.

Thanks

Follow up: Dr. Ashok Kumar 25 minutes later
Thank you doctor and finally, Is there any way to harden the erection naturally?
I mean eating pomegranate etc.
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Yes there are some natural products

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXXXX
Thanks again,

Although there is no problem in your body that will create problem for your erection but it is always advisable to have healthy lifestyle, like regular physical exercise and healthy diet. You can check various websites that suggest one or another product for natural hardening but unfortunately there is no such scientific evidence. You can contact me for stress reduction strategies if you do not find local psychiatrist in your area.

"If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish you good health".