What causes elevated liver enzyme levels in blood with fever and UTI?

Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis

Posted on Fri, 26 Aug 2016 in Infections
Question: I have had a fever for 6 days. It began at 102 and I was diagnosed with UTI. I am still on the coprocessor and feel much better but still my fever stays around 100. I had blood work and all was normal except liver. My result was 91u/l. So the doc is having them test further. Won't know for 3 days due to weekend. Advise please. Kind of scared.
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
please upload the reports...

Detailed Answer:

increased liver enzymes may have different meanings depending on the clinical context. For a patient with a febrile urinary tract infection (supposedly healthy prior to the infection) a high value AFTER being infected might mean either of the following:
- drug side effect
- serious infection
It's important to know which enzyme is elevated (and which is normal or not measured) and whether you've had any liver problems in the past. Have you done any other measurements in the past? Did you have normal results then?

Uploading the reports would help a lot because I would get to know which tests were done (and the results) and the lab's normal range of values (because they may be different between labs).

I'll be waiting for your input...