What causes elevated alkaline phosphate?

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Question
Hello Doctor, My mother is 63yrs old. Yesterday we did a routine blood test. The lymphocyte value is 40.4. The optimal value is between 20 to 40%. Also alkaline phosphate in her liver profile is high. She is having mild arthritis. What should i do? I'm worried.
Posted Tue, 12 Aug 2014 in Elderly Problems

Answered by Dr. Mukesh Chugh 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Report's are largely normal

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for posting
I have gone through your query carefully and understand your concern. The raised (mild) alkaline phosphates are suggestive of new bone formation as happens normally at her age with bone weakness that is osteopenia.
Similarly marginally raised lymphocyte is suggestive of mild infection may be a common cold. I am sorry but these report's are for doctor to study along with examination of patient to reach any diagnosis.
Her average blood sugar level is marginally raised. She should have fasting and after meal blood sugar test along with urine test. Dietary control of sugar is must.

Hope this helps and I shall be glad to answer any further query.

Follow-up: What causes elevated alkaline phosphate? 8 minutes later
Thanks doctor for your quick response. pls let me know if her blood profile looks good. MCV, MCH, MCHC, RDW-CV shows some value variations when compared to the normal value.

Answered by Dr. Mukesh Chugh 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Dietary insufficiency may be the cause

Detailed Answer:
Hi
It's good to see you
I have gone through your reply and her blood reports are impressive and whatever the variation you are seeing are very minimal and because of dietary Insufficiency of essential mineral and vitamins like zinc,magnesium,vitaminB12,copper.
She may have blood test for vitamin B12 and vitamin D.

Wishing her good health.

Follow-up: What causes elevated alkaline phosphate? 24 minutes later
Thank you doctor for all your answers. This has relieved me from worries.

Answered by Dr. Mukesh Chugh 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Thank you

Detailed Answer:
Hello
I really appreciate your concern for mother.
If you have further query you may ask or you may please close the present discussion .
Thanks