What causes elevated ALT and AST levels in blood after alcohol consumption?

Dr. Prashant

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Mon, 19 Oct 2015 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Question: My recent sat was 42 and alt was 76. I have been over doing it with regards to drinking beer. These levels have never been out of range. My doctor told me to cut way back. If I eliminate beer can thes levels go back to normal. Sorry Ast 42
Answered by Dr. Prashant 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
definitely it will be normalized

Detailed Answer:
if gou cut down ur drinking obviously ALT levels will become normal .
But lnce you need to screen for HbSAg and anti HCV levels .Because there will be elevation of ALT levels in this condition ,as a routine work up you ca get it done
thank you
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Prashant 34 minutes later
Everything was normal on my routine blood work othe than alt and Ast. My doctors advice was real it in and come back for a regular check up in six month. I am just concerned because I have been over doing the beer and I'm concern I might of done permanent damage. Should I not even have one beer or class of wine in social settings? Thank
Answered by Dr. Prashant 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
if you can restrict with 1 glass ,its fine in that way

Detailed Answer:
you can have 1 glass thats not a problem at all .
And your liver can be normalized completely for which you need to consider some diet modification like less of oily nd fatty food with this regular physical activity is must .

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Prashant 8 hours later
Thank you by taking these steps how long would it normally take the alt levels to normalize?
Answered by Dr. Prashant 6 minutes later
Brief Answer:
minimum 3 to 6 months

Detailed Answer:
it will take minimum 3 months with all the above measures some time maximum 6 months .
And you can get next ast and alt levels after 3 months .
thank you
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj