Can hepatitis-C be contracted through kissing or sexual intercourse?

Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Fri, 4 May 2018 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Question: HELLO
MY BOYFRIEND HAS HEP C, DONT KNOW HOW BAD IT IS. BUT SINCE I AM CLEAN ABOUT HEP A, B, C I LIKE TO KNOW IF WE HAVE SEX IT CAN BE TRANSMITTED THROUGH KISSING OR MAKING LOVE. I DONT WANT TO TAKE ANY CHANCES. PLEASE ADVISE.
XXXX
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please go through detailed answer dear XXXX.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking query on this forum dear XXXX,
I have gone through your query and i can appreciate your concerns,

Hepatitis C (HCV) spreads through contact with an infected person's blood (direct or indirect) which may be present(even n neglibile quantity) because of genital sores or cuts so though its not directly transferred through sexual intercourse yet if there is a sore or rash etc in groin area of your boy friend's body then there is possibility of transmission of hepatitis C.
Again for kissing the same thing applies for e.g if he had got some apthous ulcers etc in mouth which may cause very mild oozing of blood then again you are at risk.
Secondly as you had already been exposed to that, antiviral prophylaxis should be taken by you for at least a month.
Tab Travuda(emtricitabine 200 mg and tenofovir disoproxil fumarate 300 mg) a potent antiviral should be taken by you once daily for a month to be on very safe side.
And try to avoid sexual contact (as you don't want to take any chances).However in case you can't help it then you should use condoms(they would reduce the chances of transmission to almost negligible).

At a age 70 our body's immunity is naturally a bit low as compared to a very young person so chances of indirect transmission are also more.

Hope i was helpful.
Please feel free to follow up my dear patient.
Regards and have a happy life ahead.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Ramesh Kumar 13 hours later
I have not yet been involved in any case with him. He is in Switzerland and the Dr discovered he had this virus. He is taking some very expensive drugs/medication that is supposed to get rid of within 12 weeks. I believe by the time he returns I will take precaution. But in other words if he has some ulcers or cut in his mouth or any rash in his groin, then I can get infected.....right.? I sure don"t want to take any chances. Should I believe when he gets back that he is completely heal, just because he tells me? Or just because he wants to have sex am supposed to take that chance? If the need is so great he can use condom right? I wait for your answer on this follow-up. But I honestly thank u for your answer. Please get back to me if possible.

Thanks

Yours Sincerely
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 37 minutes later
Brief Answer:
3 months refraining from sex is a better and safe idea.

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear,
Best suggestion is to refrain from having a direct contact for 3 months.After three months ask him to get serum HCV test done.If its negative then you are free to have contact with him.
Kissing etc should be restricted because even a small tear can act as a souce of bleed and can cause transmission.
Don’t worry he would be fine in 12 weeks.
So best way is to try to avoid things for 12 weeks however if its impossible for both of you then best way is to use condoms.

Regards!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad