What causes earache during dialysis?

Dr. Naveen Kumar

ENT Specialist

Posted on Mon, 28 Jul 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: ear aches during or after dialysis, new patient: 71: at clinic: Hemo dialysis 3 times a week: female: poly kidneys:
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Over hydration can cause earache

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thanks for posting the query: I will try my best to help you with this problem of yours.

The earche during dialysis is very uncommon. Seldom, it is seen in individuals those who are over-hydrated during the process of dialysis. Over-hydration casuse edema or swelling in the mucosal membrane and water retention in the tissues.

So, in your condition there could be congestion around the nasal end of the Eustachian tube (the tube connecting nose and the ear) giving rise to increased pressure in the middle ear and thus earache.

Please discuss the same with your doctor and check out regarding usage of steroid nasal spray to reduce the congestion around the Eustachian tube.

Hope this answers your query; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj