What causes ear pain?

Dr. Satvinder Bakshi

ENT Specialist

Posted on Thu, 13 Mar 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hi - my friend has pain in one of his ears, no fever or other symptoms. Slight clogged sensation but can still hear fine. He used some ear treatment oil (garlic mullein oil), and when blotting the ear with a tissue, there was fresh blood mixed in with the oil. There is no blood or fluid leaking out of the ear otherwise. The pain is somewhat alleviated by ibuprofen, but comes back when it wears off. Can there be infection without fever? He's trying to avoid the cost of seeing a doctor.
Answered by Dr. Satvinder Bakshi 1 hour later
Brief Answer: yes there can be an infection Detailed Answer: Hello There can be two reasons for the complaints First and more likely one is that he has injured the ear which is causing the pain and you need to meet your doctor to see the extent of damage to the ear. The second reason maybe that the ear is Infected and he may need antibiotics for it for which he should meet his doctor. Since both these conditions are slightly bothersome issues, I suggest that he visit a doctor at the earliest and get it solved. Meanwhile he can continue the pain killers and avoid water entering his ear. Thanks
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad