What causes drowsiness, nausea, burping and cough?

Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin

Posted on Mon, 12 Sep 2016 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Hi, I have a combination of symptions - sleepiness, nausua (burping) and cough. They have occured previously for a few days, but now I have had them for over 2 weeks. They always occur together. My regular GP is ill and so I went to urgent care. My blood work was normal (includes liver and A1C, kidney and regular metabolic pannel - yes I have diabetes). The doc was looking for reasons for each symptom (meds for nausea, sleep apnia for sleepliness). I do have moderate sleep apnia, untreated. I checked with my cardiologist (looking for something that explains all the symptoms) and had normal echo cardiogram. I have an appointment with a substitute for my general practitioner. None of my meds cause both sleepiness and nausea. What do you suggest? What kind of specialist should I see? Thank you.b
Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Needs blood gases and pulmonologist review

Detailed Answer:
Hi! Welcome to health care magic! Thanks for sharing your concerns with us. We will try to help you in best way possible. First of all, it is sad to know what you had gone through. Based on the history you have shared, both symptoms can relate to one possibility that if due to apnea, gases exchange is compromised then it may lead to respiratory acidosis or carbon dioxide retension which may cause nausea. The cough can be due to acute respiratory tract infection which can further the already compromised gas exchange. You need to treat the infective exacerbations of sleep apnea and do a sleep study and get blood gases done. In any case i would suggest to get a sleep medicine specialist and a pulmonologist. Wishing you a speedy recovery. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask. Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Veerisetty Shyamkumar