Does Cymbalta cause acidosis?

Dr. Divakara

Posted on Thu, 18 Jun 2015 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Does Cymbalta cause acidosis?
Answered by Dr. Divakara 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
No it won't.

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Greetings from Dr Divakara P

No it is very unlikely for Cymbalta to cause Acidosis.

There are two kinds of Acidosis,

1. Metabolic acidosis
2. Respiratory acidosis.

Kindly let me know what kind of acidosis you are talking about.

Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Divakara 9 hours later
I don't know how to tell which type of acidosis I have. All I know is that a gastro doctor told me that I have it and nothing she told me to do works. ie, Prilosec 2X per day. Xantac 1X per day.
Answered by Dr. Divakara 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It must be Acidity not acidosis.

Detailed Answer:
HI

I think your doctor meant Acidity and not acidosis , these two are totally different entities.

Even the medicines prescribed to you Prilosec and Zantac are for Acidity problem. If in spite of these treatment you are not relieved you need to get certain tests done.

In that regard I advise you to get Upper gastrointestinal Endoscopy scan and Rapid Urease test for H.Pylori.

Kindly revert back with the test reports.
Follow up: Dr. Divakara 41 hours later
I had an endoscopy done and it showed inflammation in my stomach. I had the H.Pylori test done several times. It turned out negative for the bacteria. I had a breath test done, which turned out negative. I had an ultra sound done which showed no abnormality. My most recent gastro doctor told me that this wasn't some big mystery. That it is was acid and IBS. She told me to take Liness, but the side effects are too difficult. (Diarhhea that becomes a problem). So now I think it's my stomach making too much acid. But no one can tell me how to get my stomach to stop making the acid and how to stop the stomach pain. I've had allergy tests done, as well. It said I was allergic to Beef and Cauliflower. Which is ridiculous.
Answered by Dr. Divakara 11 hours later
Brief Answer:
Need to take Lansopresole for a month.

Detailed Answer:
HI

Thanks for the information.

Then you need to take Lansoprezole for a long time ( 3-4 weeks ) . You can also use Antacids like Gelusil .

You also need to follow a strict less Spicy diet, eat food at regular intervals and avoid non veg food , Carbonated drinks , Coffee and avoid citrus fruits.

If you have any habit of Smoking or drinking alcohol kindly reduce and quit .

Hope this information was useful to you.
Any clarifications feel free to ask .

Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj