What causes dizziness while sleeping?

Dr. Prasanna Heijebu

Posted on Fri, 23 Oct 2015 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Getting sensation of giddiness when trying to turn onto one side in sleep. Please help me understand the problem and possible medication.
Answered by Dr. Prasanna Heijebu 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Possible BPPV

Detailed Answer:
Hello, Sir.

I can understand your concern.

You possibly seem to have BPPV-benign positional paroxysmal vertigo.

This is relatively a common condition in the general population.

This can be treated with a short course of antivertigo drugs like Betahistine or Escitalopram.Please check with your physician if he shares my view and if can prescribe them to you.

In case of any doubt, I advise you to get 2 important tests to rule out inner ear disease which is usually associated with BPPV.

1.Dix Hall pike Maneuver.
2.Electronystagmography.

Post your further queries if any,
Thank you.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Neel Kudchadkar