What causes dizziness and persistent panic attacks?

Dr. Pradeep Kumar

Pediatrician, Cardiology

Posted on Fri, 10 Mar 2017 in Child Health
Question: Have a 13 year old girl with terrible thirst over the past several weeks dry and mouth no medicine taken or drugs legal or illegal taken. Started feeling dizzy and honey having a panic attack last night switch her to Gatorade and it electrolyte drops and other drinks. Last night however she drank for a Gatorade large, Six large individual Fontes with no electrolytes 4 of them,and a half a gallon of water with no electrolytes. She's extremely stressed from the thirst still dizzy still having panic attacks and her legs ache. She's had panic attacks before but this Thirst is been going on completely unrelated to it .
Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 51 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Needs to be investigated, please consult a pediatrician

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for asking on this platform

I have gone through the detail and do understand your concern.
In view of history of excessive thirst, dizziness, aggravation of panic attacks and leg aches; all those causes must be ruled out which may lead to such condition.
I would like to know if there is increased frequency of urine and increased appetite also. Thyroid, calcium or sugar abnormality may cause increased thirst, increased appetite, increased frequency of urination with dizziness.
I would like to get few investigations like blood sugar, blood gas(acid base status) serum electrolytes, calcium along with thyroid and urine examination done.
These investigations will give a clue to the diagnosis of underlying cause like electrolyte imbalance, urinary infection, hyperglycemia, defective calcium metabolism or thyroid abnormality.
I request you to consult a pediatrician at earliest for thorough clinical examination, investigations and management accordingly.

I hope this helps.
Please let me know if you have any further query.
With regards

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Pradeep Kumar 34 minutes later
How dangerous is it to wait a few weeks? She has no insurance. I have to tell you. She isn't my daughter. She is my daughter's best friend. She stays with us about half of her time. The mom and dad are in a not talking much to each other battle on who has is going to get her insurance. The dad can get Medicaid for her for free but is completely unreliable and the mom can't afford to put her on her insurance. I really don't know what to do here. The mom says it is all in her head because of the panic attacks and she isn't around her enough to see how much she is actually drinking and it is kind of unreal how much. And yes, she is urinating a lot and she isn't sure about the increased appetite. She start getting thirsty in the early part of January. She started getting dizzy starting yesterday and we both think there has been a drastic increase in fluid intake within the last week.
Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 6 minutes later
Brief Answer:
A visit to pediatrician is needed

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for follow up

I have all the sympathy with her after knowing all.
Give her plenty of fluids with electrolytes and try to get her evaluated by a pediatrician at earliest possible. If possible get her to some hospital where you may get low cost consultation/evaluation.