What causes diverticulosis?

Dr. Uday Nath Sahoo

Posted on Sat, 18 Mar 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Hi, I just had a colonoscopy, but it didn't turn out the way we all thought. The prep was hard on me, they gave me the two day prep, but this didn't clean me out enough. I had to be at the hospital by 8:00 am, and when I got there I needed to go to the bathroom. It was very dark. So they gave me a couple of enema's to
help the cleaning process. After the colonoscopy, they gave me the diagnoses of diverticulosis. What is this? And could this had been the problem, in which I wasn't cleaned out enough? Thanks, I just have a couple of questions after this procedure, and they where not answered.
Answered by Dr. Uday Nath Sahoo 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Details below

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for your question.

I do understand your pain and discomfort.

As per your history, I may say that diverticula are small bulging pouches that can form in the lining of your digestive system. They are found most often in the lower part of the large intestine(colon).

The main symptoms of diverticulitis are -

1) Constant pain in the lower left side of abdomen

2) Nausea and vomiting

3) Fever, if infected

4) Abdominal tenderness

5) Constipation and sometimes diarrhea

Please check if you have any signs/symptoms present or not ? In case, you have no clinical symptoms present but they have detected diverticulitis then you can do a CT scan of whole abdomen to confirm it.

I hope I was able to address your query. If you have any further questions regarding this matter, please do not hesitate to write to me.

Wishing you all the best.

Thanks

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee