What causes distorted vision, numbness in ear and tinnitus?

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist

Posted on Thu, 25 Aug 2016 in Valvular Heart Disease
Question: I have some form of problem with my eyesight. If you picture a white striped tiger, with black stripes. The lines are "jumping" and kind of vibrating. If I close one eye, it stops. Same with certain straight lines like doors etc, same thing. Doesnt matter which eye I close.
Have also what feel is a little bit worse sight on one eye, that bothers me. Its all periodically.
I wonder if this is something related to bloodvessels? I have had some numbness to my ear and top of head periodically too, and afraid this might be related to clogged arteries. However had three visits to cardiologists with stress ecg and ultrasound, and asked questions to a great docotor on this site about the heart related issues. The numbness in scalp does occur especially when I get mad and bloodpressure rises. I also have tinitus espcially on same eye I feel is worse sight on.
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 45 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would recommend as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome back on HCM!

Regarding your concern, I would explain that your symptoms could be related to an eye or brain disorder.

I recommend consulting with a neurologist for a careful physical exam. A brain MRI may be necessary.

An ophthalmologist consult would also help exclude an eye disorder.

Meanwhile, i recommend you to closely monitor your blood pressure. Blood pressure changes can lead to this clinical scenario.

Hope you will find this answer helpful!

Feel free to ask any other questions whenever you need!

Kind regards,

Dr. Iliri
Follow up: Dr. Ilir Sharka 41 minutes later
Hello again. Thank you for answering fast.
My bloodpressure is very often low. Like 100/60-ish.
Does it sound like something urgent, that I need to go to emergencyroom?

I have had this with eyesight for years, off and on. Same with numbness in scalp. Many years off and on, but worse now. And very much when I get mad and argue with people, shouting, I get much tingling and numbness i scalp, forehead and around ear.
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would explain as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello again!

Thank you for the additional information.

Your symptoms are not indicative of anything urgent, as you have been having these symptoms intermittently for years.

So, I think it can wait.

Besides, anxiety, emotional stress and all the changes in blood pressure can justify these symptoms.

Numbness in the head is quite typical of tension type headache, which is a type of headache related to anxiety and emotional stress.

Besides, high or low blood pressure can also cause a similar type of headache.

I recommend you to perform the above mentioned tests after consulting with your doctor to exclude other possible causes.

But, it is not emergent and it can wait until your scheduled appointment.

Hope you will find this answer helpful!

Best wishes,

Dr. Iliri
Follow up: Dr. Ilir Sharka 15 minutes later
Hello again :)

Okay. I will go to doctor appointment scheduled.
I have no headache. Just tingling and numbness. Same type may occur between thumb and "pointing" finger sometimes.
I will ask for neurologist appointment.
I feel as we have discussed before, that this may be a part of the clogged arteries n heart, which you say I dont have, and further more have also clogged in neck and head.
Maybe fact that my neck is really stiff and sore these days, sleeping on bad surfaces can play a role in this? I am aslo dead tired
Brief Answer:
My answer as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello again!

The numbness and tingling is related to the nerves of the scalp and the tensed muscles.

A wrong position during sleeping coupled with a bad pillow can trigger this type of problems.

From the other hand chronic degeneration of the back bone (which occurs in a lot of persons at your age) is another factor contributing to this symptoms. The tensed muscles in this region, cause hypersensibilisation of the nerves of the scalp, leading to tingling, numbness, etc..

I would also recommend performing a cervical column X ray study.

But, no one of the above mentioned causes is a serious cause.

So just relax and try not to think about it!

It is not a matter of blocked arteries!

Regarding the tingling in your fingers, it could be related to nerve compression in your wrist (also called carpal tunnel syndrome). I recommend performing a nerve conduction study for this purpose.

Hope to have clarified some of your uncertainties!

Best wishes,

Dr. Iliri
Follow up: Dr. Ilir Sharka 2 hours later
I am so fucking sad that you are not a doctor in my country. I have gotten more tips from you- a online doctor that doesnt even see me, than at my doctors office.

So, thank you for that. You seem very professional and seem to be able to see the problem and person via the net.

Again. I apreciate the help sir. f only Norway had docs lke you. My story would be alot diffrent.
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
You are welcome!

Detailed Answer:
I am glad to have been helpful to you!

Thank you for your consideration! I appreciate that.

Even though I am not working actually in your country, I can be your personal online doctor.

Feel free to ask me again for any other uncertainties at any time on the link below:

http://doctor.healthcaremagic.com/Funnel?page=askDoctorDirectly&docId=69765

It is my pleasure working with patients like you!

Best wishes,

Dr. Iliri