What causes discomfort in eyes after changing spectacles?

Dr. Ashok Kumar Dash

Ophthalmologist

Posted on Tue, 5 Aug 2014 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: I had an eye check up and spectacles change recently. But I am not comfortable with the new power.
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar Dash 45 minutes later
Brief Answer:
optical correction.

Detailed Answer:
You have not mentioned earlier power or present refractive error. What is the power of the corrective glasses. After the refraction check was done and your acceptance was asked, If you are not satisfied you should have expressed. How ever now you can have another refraction error check and your corrective lens to be re-checked. There may be a mismatch. If it's a faulty glass given then you should go back to optician for a change, you have said power is 5, but not mentioned its minus or plus. If you are myopic it needs to be changed as your body grows the axis of the eye ball changes. It needs regular corrections every one year.

Now you can go for contact lens or after 3 years may considered lasik surgery.
Follow up: Dr. Ashok Kumar Dash 21 minutes later
My Present Power is as follows :
Spherical Cyclical Axis
L -5.00 0.75 180
R -5.00 0.50 165

My Previous Power was as follows
Spherical Cyclical Axis
L -4.50 1.00 180
R -4.50 1.00 170

When I had an eye check for New Spectacles, I was comfortable with the new Power. But after putting on my new specs, I am having problem reading the digits n letters while working on Laptop as well as reading minute figures on Television.
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar Dash 47 minutes later
Brief Answer:
optical corection.

Detailed Answer:
There is a very small deference in present power. The increase is in expected line. Take the presently prescribed specs and get it verified. If you are not satisfied with present specs, then you can continue with previously prescribed specs for 6months. Some times it takes little time to adjust with new power specially cylinder.

Get refraction done again and take the opinion of optometrist or ophthalmologist who has given the second specs.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari