What causes difficulty urinating and pain in urethra after testosterone therapy?

Dr. P. T. Patil

Urologist

Posted on Tue, 7 Jun 2016 in Men's Health
Question: Hello,

I have been on Testosterone therapy for the past 2 years via the direction of my Urologyst.
I am currently 38 and for what ever reason my levels were low enough to be treated. At first I was reluctant , but went along w the recommendations. Otherwise Im healthy , actively training BJJ and kickboxing w one sexual partner.
Wanting to expand the family and have children, I found myself ,back in Nov/2016 , submitting an analysis for inspection. To my XXXXXXX the sperm count was zero. Not one or two but zero. Knowing this was a possibility , we accepted it in stride and stopped all T therapy hoping in 6 months to a year things will kick back up.
From Nov/2016 to current date n time, April/2016, I have , from time to time experienced a " blue balls" sensation.
A sensation that can only be described as if someone was squeezing my nuts and not in a good way. I thought , like an ole diesel motor, there would be some turn over start up pains.
That was until recently when a training partner expressed similar sensations along w difficulty urinating that was directly related to hernia.
I have had difficulty urinating as well but assumed this was a result of the T therapy.
I have had over the years what I thought were hip flexor pulls causing pain as well sharp pain in what feels like my urethra upon attempting to push something heavy across the ground with my foot in an adducting movement.
My Urologyst checked mefor a hernia, digitally,w neg results.

Questions:
1: can the testicular pressure be caused from the bodys attempting to reproduce sperm again
2: can a hernia affect sperm production
3: why, after stopping T now for 5 months, do I still not have a healthy piss stream? Its better, but , it seems as if the longer I hold it , the more restricted it is when I eventually go. The only time I have a GREAT peeing experience is when viagra is introduced .

I thank you in advance.
-B
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Testicular pressure can not be due to attempt by body to produse sperms.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for queries .

I have gone through your history and think that your Azospermia ( Absent sperms) could be due to taking exogenous Testosterone which leads to lower the indigenous production of Testosterone by Testicles and there by affect spermatogenesis (Production of sperms).

It takes long tome to restart production of sperm after stopping taking Exogenous Testosterone .and there is no option than to wait for

As regards your queries I would answer them as detailed below.
1) Production of sperms never cause any pressure over testicles .

2)Hernia does not affect spermatogenesis (Production of sperms )

3) It takes long time for Testicles to regain function and restart production of sperms .Urine stream has no relation with Testosterone levels in body .Increase in urinary stream after taking Viagra is due to dilatation of Urethra resulting from action of Viagra.

Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions , I shall be happy to help you .
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.

Follow up: Dr. P. T. Patil 21 minutes later
Dr. XXXXXXX

First off, thank you so much for your reply. It seems as if there might be a neurologic, vascular and or strangulation component to both the testicular discomfort and the poor urinary stream correct?
If my Urologyst checked me for a hernia with neg findings, what is the next course of action for me in determining the cause or causes?
Is there a better diagnostic study for hernia then digital examination?
I have had a full urinary work up a few years ago to determine the cause of the weak stream w no useful data. That process included a prostate exam, which revealed normal size for age,
I had a camera inserted into urethra to look for scar tissue/ injury from an old saddle type injury which revealed neg findings.

Is it possible that there is a neurologic deficiency to those organs stemming from the lower back or worse, a space occupying lesion?

Again,
Thank you so much..
Brief Answer:
Poor urinary stream can be due to infection of Prostate (Prostatitis).

Detailed Answer:
hello
Thanks for follow up .
Hernia is better diagnosed on clinical examination and can be confirmed by Ultrasound Scanning .However Hernia never causes poor urine stream.

Since most of the relevant studies are normal and stricture of urethra is rued out on endoscopic examination the poor urine stream could be due to mostly chronic infection of prostate(Chronic Prostatitis).Which can be confirmed by doing
1) Swab test and culture of urethral discharge obtained after doing Prostatic massage for which you will need help of health personnel or Urologist .
2) Microscopic examination and culture of Semen .
3) Urodynamic study of bladder to rule out neurogenic factor as a cause for poor stream .

In the mean while I would suggest you to start taking Tomsulosin once daily .This drugs helps to improve urine flow .

Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.

Follow up: Dr. P. T. Patil 45 minutes later
And the sporadic testicular pressure since stopping Testosterone? Is this from the " hypertrophy of the testicles?
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
an be due to hypertrophy of Testicle

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for follow up .
Yes sporadic pressure could be duet hypertrophy of testicles.
Thanks with Regards.
Dr.Patil.