What causes difficulty in concentrating when diagnosed with hypothyroidism?

Dr. Neeraj Kumar

Neurologist

Posted on Tue, 7 Jun 2016 in Headache and Migraines
Question: Hi:

I am 49 years old with Hypo Thyroid and recent diagnosis of Diabetes. I suffered a major head injury in a bicycle accident in 1995. I suffered from unexplained faining spells for almost 11 years after the accident. In 2006 the fainting spells ended all of sudden. I have been feeling better. But, I go through strange problems when for months together I just cannot focus on anything. I cannot process any information. I just go blank. I find it very hard to deal with it. But due to strong family support and will power, I hang through it. But , it is very frustrating. For example, I am going through this phase since January of this year and I have failed to do my basic acitivites. When I am OK, i am very productive but during thesephases, I just become really blanck. I do nto have insurance coverage and do not know :

1. wheteher it is related to my head injury?
2. What shall i do?

Kindly advice.
Answered by Dr. Neeraj Kumar 55 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Get investigated as advised

Detailed Answer:
I have gone through your question and understand your concerns.
This difficulty in concentration may be due hypothyroidism and also related to head injury.
Also vitamin B 12 deficiency may lead to such problems.
Even depression may lead to memory and concentration problems.
You should get tested for blood sugar, liver function test, renal function test, vitamin B 12.
Repeat Thyroid profile may be done if it is more than 3 months.
Reviews with reports.
Dr N Kumar
Neurologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Deepak