• question-icon

What causes sudden dizziness while on a spinning carnival ride?

Posted on Sat, 9 Sep 2017 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: My name is XXXXXXX I am 6'7" 280 pounds. My blood pressure is nearly perfect. I have a problem though. I nearly passed out on a spinning carnival ride. I am not scared of heights or roller coasters. What could be the issue? I suspect that because of my long legs and arms ( which were stretched all the way out during the ride) that my blood concentrated in my limbs causing my brain to lose oxygen. Is that the case ? The ride was a long one with no breaks, ughh it was terrible.
Answered by Dr. Bhanu Partap 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Yes its highly likely to be the reason

Detailed Answer:
Hello

After going through the medical query raised by you I would like to tell you that Yes you figured it correctly.

What happen is when you take a ride in these type of rides the effect of gravity, effect of spinnin, tall height causes the blood to pool in our legs thereby reducing the venous return to heart ultimately reducing cardiac output which causes a reduced blood supply to brain and this ultimately leads to dizziness or fainting spells.

Better to avoid such rides and if you really wanna enjoy them then try to keep on flexing and extending your legs regularly while sitting and keep stretching your calf muscles.

I hope this information will relieve your worries. Hope to have been helpful.

If you have any more doubts you can ask me back or else you can close the discussion and kindly rate the answer.

Kind regards
Dr Bhanu partap
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Bhanu Partap 45 minutes later
Thank you!
Answered by Dr. Bhanu Partap 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hello Again

Detailed Answer:
It's a pleasure.

Kindly close the discussion and leave your valuable feedback.

Kind Regards
Dr Bhanu partap
Dr. Bhanu Partap

Cardiologist