What causes diarrhea?

Dr. Behar Greca

Posted on Fri, 2 May 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I have had diarrhea for 3 weeks. I am waiting to get into a gastro. specialist. on 24th. I recently had to get a new doc because mine moved. I feel like my doc had a judgement on me before we met. I was addicted to pain meds and admittedmuself to hospital. been off pain meds since November. My doctor doesn't want to help me it seems like. what should I do
Answered by Dr. Behar Greca 3 hours later
Brief Answer: You need ORS... Detailed Answer: Hi. The factors that cause diarrhea are many and different. The most common factors are microbes. To find the cause of diarrhea you need: 1. Complete blood count. 2. Liver function test. 3. Urine test. 4. Stool culture. The results of these tests will help your doctor in determining the treatment. Before you get the treatment, first of all you need a oral rehydration treatment to replace the fluids you have lost due to diarrhea. To do this you can use ORS(Oral Rehydration Solution). To prevent diarrhea you should eliminate spicy foods, coffee, milk and sauces from your diet. You can also eat immature banana, because they help in preventing diarrhea. Contact your infectologist. Ask me for anything unclear. All the best. Dr. Behar.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D