What causes diarrhea after a colon resectioning surgery?

Dr. Deepika Patil

General Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 18 Aug 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I had colon resectioning surgery july 17 I am on a full fluid diet I have had constant diahrea since july 20 is this normal
Answered by Dr. Deepika Patil 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
no its not normal

Detailed Answer:

Welcome to HealthcareMagic .

It is not normal to have diarrhoea from almost one week according to me.

The most possible reason for this could be as a side effect of strong antibiotics which you may be taking. If such a patient comes to me I usually advice to continue antibiotics as it is equally important and start preprobiotics tablet and switch to semi solid diet which helps to improve bulk of stools.

So I insist you to consult your surgeon and under his guidance switch to semi solid diet and preprobiotics.

Hope I have answered your query . If any further queries are there I would love to help.

Dr.Deepika Patil
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari