What causes depression and panic attacks with thoughts of harming others?

Posted on Mon, 12 May 2014 in Mental Health
Question: I am on several meds and have been for a year now. I feel my mental health is declining and my doctor only wants to prescribe more meds. I'm depressed, have frequent panic attacks and have thought about harming others. I can't get into see another psychiatrist until the end of the month and if I go to the er they will admit me to the psych ward for 3 days then I'll be released. Could this problem be because of my meds?
Answered by Dr. Abhishek Kapoor 51 minutes later
Brief Answer: You can try antidepressant Detailed Answer: Hi Thanks for using healthcare magic. I, Dr Abhishek Kapoor, would help you in this query. I think, your psychiatrist has kept possibility of bipolar disorder with current manic episode. That is why, you are on lamotrigine, which is a mood stabilizer and ziprasidone, which is a antipsychotic agent. In my option, you may have either depressive disorder or bipolar disorder with current depressive episode, rest depend upon your past or current symptoms. In case, you have depression and anxiety symptoms, you need antidepressant in treatment. If you do not have any history of previous manic episode, then you can take antidepressant like paroxetine or bupropion that has less chance of manic switch. These drugs are not available over the counter, you have to consult a psychiatrist. In case, you need further help, you can ask. Regards Dr. Abhishek Kapoor Psychiatrist
Dr. Abhishek Kapoor

Psychiatrist