What causes delayed periods?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Mar 2016
Mar 2016

OBGYN
Question
Hi Doctor,

I am married recently, and my wife missed her period 24 days before and she feeling tired, little bit bleeding, breast tendering and cramping in stomach.

Is she pregnant? we are waiting very eagerly and still we didn't do ant test. we are planning next week as her next period cycle on 1st Aug.

One thing she traveled almost 24 hrs in flight 4 days before her first period from home country, she feel home sick too. is that the reason for missed her period? we are very confused.
Posted Sun, 10 Aug 2014 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
DO ONE HOME PREGNANCY TEST AT THE EARLIEST.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing to us on Healthcare Magic. Followings are my comments:

1) Most common cause of MISSED PERIOD (if previous cycle was regular) among sexually active women is pregnancy. Therefore, she needs to undergo one home pregnancy test at the earliest to rule out pregnancy.

2) On NEGATIVE test, hormonal imbalance, mental stress, emotional upset, pelvic infection, irregular diet pattern, over weight, Poly Cystic Ovary, thyroid disturbance, high prolactin level etc can cause late period in this context.

Here, I suggest to undergo one pelvic ultrasound scan and complete hormone tests under the guidance of local GYNECOLOGIST. It will help to narrow down underlying causes and confirm the diagnosis. Take treatment according to that.

3) 24 hrs traveling in flight may change her regular period date for few days only and it is NOT a conclusive cause for 24 days missed period.

Hope, it helps for your information. Kindly, close the discussion if you don't have any other query.

Wish her good health and take care yourself.

Dr Soumen

For future query, you can directly approach me through

http://doctor.healthcaremagic.com/Funnel?page=askDoctorDirectly&docId=63326