What causes delayed periods with negative UPT?

Dr. Chobufo Ditah

Posted on Thu, 7 Aug 2014 in General Health
Question: Ok so my periods are never late by 1-2 days, they come on the 28-30 every month. I had my tubes untied last year as well. I spotted mid month of XXXXXXX for about 3-4 days very light no blood. Now no period, 12 store test all negative, blood test neg as well took the blood Monday. Now, I am having full symptoms, nausea, breast tenderness, extreme fatigue, and mild swelling. Is it possible to still be preg. with all the negative test?
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
No, not possible!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

I am so sorry but you cannot be pregnant with 12 negative tests. With your tubes untied last year, I have a strong suspicion that you are anxiously looking forward to being pregnant. This in itself is enough to generate full blown symptoms of early pregnancy that do not tie with laboratory testing. This is typical of a condition called pseudocyesis.

In all, you cannot be pregnant with all the negative tests. I am of the opinion that your wishes have led you into pseudocyesis. Get relaxed and sure you would soon have your menses back. If that fails to happen, see your OBGYN.

I hope this addresses your query fully. I wish you well and thank you so much for using our services. Feel free to ask for more information and clarifications if need be.

Follow up: Dr. Chobufo Ditah 12 minutes later
I haven't been trying nor am I awaiting to get pregnant, I actually don't want to be pregnant. Could there be some other medical issues going on as I have never been late a day in my life which has caused me a bit of concern.
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
See below!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for this follow up precision.

There are many reasons why you may have a delay. The most common is that no reason is found after pregnancy is excluded. In this scenario, I will advice that you wait until the next expected date of your menses. If you do not get your menses, then we would get aggressive at investigating what the possible cause of this is.
As our age increases, the system is no longer as efficient and precise as it is in our early ages.

In all, wait patiently and if nothing shows up by the next expected menses, then we would consider investigating in greater details what the problem is.

I hope this helps. I wish you well. Let me know if this sounds like a plan that you may want to try out.