What causes delayed eruption of teeth in a child?

Dr. Mahesh Kumar T S

Dentist, Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery

Posted on Tue, 5 Aug 2014 in Dental Health
Question: My 37 months my daughters inside left and right teeth not grown front and side teeth's are came up . in her play home , dentist visited and informed us to about this?

Please suggest any treatment is available for this?
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Kumar T S 53 minutes later
Brief Answer:
delayed eruption, radiographs, Hypothyroidism

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your query, I have gone through your query.
The normal sequence of eruption is mandibular and maxillary incisors, followed by mandibular and maxillary 1st molars, then canines and lastly the second molars.

According to your problem the back teeth(molars) have not erupted. Ideally it should erupt by the age of 1-1 1/2 year. It can erupt up to 2 years. Nothing to worry about it.

As far the delayed eruption of teeth is concerned, I have two possibilities either it can occur secondary to any obstruction for the path of eruption by any pathology or lack of eruptive forces. and the other possible cause could be Hypothyroidism.

Consult a oral physician and get a radiograph done like RVG or IOPAR to rule out any obstruction for the normal eruption of the teeth. If there are no obstructions in the path of eruption then you can get a T3 and T4 level checked.
Once the cause is found out we can treat accordingly.
I hope my answer will help you, take care.
If any queries are there then you can reply me back.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Mahesh Kumar T S 10 minutes later
Thank you doctor for your replay. I will follow up you when visited the dentists
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Kumar T S 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
radiographic and blood reports

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your reply, Once you get the radiographs and blood reports done you can upload the reports. I will look into that and give the diagnosis.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju