question-icon

What causes dark urine with lower back pain?

Posted on Thu, 10 Dec 2015
Question: My urine started out dark this morning and the pain in.my side/lower back is getting progressively worse. My doctor told me to go.to.the ER. I now have alot of bright red blood in my urine and have been waiting the ER for 3 hours. I'm debating whether just to go.home and be miserable and try to get a doctors appointment in the morning.
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil (15 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Your symptoms Could be due to urinary stone

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for your query ,based on the facts that you have posted it appears that you have pain in lower back with hematuria.

This strongly suggests presence of stone either in kidney or Ureter.

If the pain is very severe and unbearable you should visit Er or else you can go to Urologist tomorrow morning for clinical and get following basic tests done to confirm the diagnosis.
1) Urine routine and culture.
2) Ultrasound scanning of abdomen and pelvis.

In the mean while request your family Dr to give pain killers for overnight .

Ensure to drink more water.

Further treatment will depend upon result of these tests and final diagnosis.

Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions ,I shall be happy to help you
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil

Dr. P. T. Patil

Urologist