What does a dilated kidney indicate after recovering from cystitis?

Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis

Posted on Fri, 10 Nov 2017 in General Health
Question: Hi I am a 43 year old fit lady. I recently had cystitis treated with antibiotics( I feel like I still have a slight infection). No blood in my urine. All blood results normal but my U/S showed a mildly dilated left Kidney. I'm worried because I have no symptoms and feel well. Will this resolve? I only get cystitis when I do not pass urine after intercourse. This has happened throughout my marriage. In fact I still feel like I have the cystitis. Could this hav caused the problem of mildly dilated left Kidney. I'm very married but I feel well.
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
please provide more information

Detailed Answer:

since you're having regular attacks of urinary tract infections you need a urine culture and antibiogram to identify the causative organism and its susceptibility to various antibiotics. The dilated kidney may indicate partial obstruction of the urinary tract which can be caused by a renal stone or other causes of obstruction. The cystitis itself is not a cause of this finding. Sometimes obstruction in the lower part of the urinary tract may cause the same symptoms as cystitis does and therefore the two entities can be confused with each other.

I suggest doing a culture and antibiogram in order to receive appropriate treatment.

Kind Regards!
Follow up: Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 2 hours later
Thank you,
Could a urinary stone be seen on the Ultra sound? Thank you
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
it is possible but sometimes the radiologist may miss it

Detailed Answer:
You're welcome!

A urinary stone is usually seen on the ultrasound scan but sometimes it may be missed. When the patient feel pain the radiologist may detect dilatation of the ureter (the little canal that connects the kidney with the bladder) and the kidney itself. The dilatation and location of pain depends on the site of obstruction. A little stone that partially obstructs the ureter very close to the bladder may cause lower urinary tract infection symptoms (not a real infection that is) and the ureter and kidney may both be dilated.

A CT scan may detect stones easier but the amount of radiation you'd get from it is too much to consider unless really necessary.

Kind Regards!