Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

174 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

What does a dilated kidney indicate after recovering from cystitis?

Answered by
Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis

Internal Medicine Specialist

Practicing since :1999

Answered : 3621 Questions

Posted on Fri, 10 Nov 2017 in General Health
Question: Hi I am a 43 year old fit lady. I recently had cystitis treated with antibiotics( I feel like I still have a slight infection). No blood in my urine. All blood results normal but my U/S showed a mildly dilated left Kidney. I'm worried because I have no symptoms and feel well. Will this resolve? I only get cystitis when I do not pass urine after intercourse. This has happened throughout my marriage. In fact I still feel like I have the cystitis. Could this hav caused the problem of mildly dilated left Kidney. I'm very married but I feel well.
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
please provide more information

Detailed Answer:

since you're having regular attacks of urinary tract infections you need a urine culture and antibiogram to identify the causative organism and its susceptibility to various antibiotics. The dilated kidney may indicate partial obstruction of the urinary tract which can be caused by a renal stone or other causes of obstruction. The cystitis itself is not a cause of this finding. Sometimes obstruction in the lower part of the urinary tract may cause the same symptoms as cystitis does and therefore the two entities can be confused with each other.

I suggest doing a culture and antibiogram in order to receive appropriate treatment.

Kind Regards!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
Follow up: Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 2 hours later
Thank you,
Could a urinary stone be seen on the Ultra sound? Thank you
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
it is possible but sometimes the radiologist may miss it

Detailed Answer:
You're welcome!

A urinary stone is usually seen on the ultrasound scan but sometimes it may be missed. When the patient feel pain the radiologist may detect dilatation of the ureter (the little canal that connects the kidney with the bladder) and the kidney itself. The dilatation and location of pain depends on the site of obstruction. A little stone that partially obstructs the ureter very close to the bladder may cause lower urinary tract infection symptoms (not a real infection that is) and the ureter and kidney may both be dilated.

A CT scan may detect stones easier but the amount of radiation you'd get from it is too much to consider unless really necessary.

Kind Regards!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,  
Medical Topics

Recent questions on  Urinary stone

doctor1 MD

After I wee it hurts and some blood comes out not a lot and after when I wipe had it before and it went and it’s come back again

doctor1 MD

I have been doing ice the last 24 hours and I am passing blood in my urine and it's burning durnoing bad urination what could be the cause also pain in my lower tummy my friend did the same amount with no complication

doctor1 MD

Dr, I am lax from india. My cousin is 50 years old male and he has been taking tablet for blood pressure for last 10 years and he is doing light duty job only. Six month before he was taken treatment for urinary stone in the hospital and with iv medicine it was cleared off. Then some time he was feeling pain and that was tollerable. so he was taking tablet and its gone.

Recenetly 5 days before my cousin was having pain in the back side and he was not able to pass urine. So he was admitted in the hospital nearby his home. Then there they took scan for checking any stone and tested the urea level. They they said urea level is very high. He was given medicine thro iv to reduce the uric acid level. but it was not reducing and become high. So he was shifted to another hospital to check with nephrologist. There they took scan,other test and they found no stones. They said one kidney is seems in shrinkage condition. after went this hospital he can able to pass urine. They gave medicine thro' iv to reduce the uric level for the last 2days, but the level of the uric become increase around 160 and the creatine leve they found around 10. So yesterday they said, first to reduce the high amount of uric level , he has to go for dialysis . Then they made dialysis (hemo) for him 2 cycle ( 2 hrs + 4 hrs) . Now he has been moved to ward from ICU and Dr. asked to give him light food like liquid type.

My question is , whether this decesion taken for dialysis is correct or not ?

Also this dialysis process is required for him upto when and whether it is required to continue further also or not. pl. reply in detail.


doctor1 MD

i had sex two weeks ago and since then i feel pain when urinating. The first day there was little blood in my urine but it stopped. I feel like urinating most of the time but some times nothing comes out.and the pain wont go away,what could be the problem and will the pain go away on itself?

doctor1 MD

Today when I thought I needed to pee a blood clot dropped in the toilet. I didn t pee, though. It was just the clot. I have done this twice since the first time today. Its like a burning urge and then when I go to use the bathroom the urge passes and the clot comes through. I also feel nauseated with pain in my right lower abdomen. I have body aches all over me and I feel weak. I have been sexually active for the past four days. I have had a past of cysts on my left ovary. What is this?

doctor1 MD

why does my husband (who has had several UTI's over a period of several months and is currently on his fourth course of antbiotics) feel the pain in different sides of his flank on different days / also should he be referred to a urologist and what tests should he have?