• question-icon

What causes dark stool while experiencing lack of appetite?

Posted on Mon, 3 Jul 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I have ONE
but lately, I'm passing large amounts of stool and can feel my appetite starting to go. my stool is also quite dark and with black flecks riddle through my stool. in the past few days, I've passed a lot of stool. roughly 5 times more than I normally do.
what do I do?
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 53 minutes later
Brief Answer:
can be worm infestation.

Detailed Answer:
Helo,
Thanks for query,

Possibility 1-
Worm infestation especially hookworm causes increased appetite with increased stool frequency.
They attach to intestines through suckers.Each sucker acts as a bleeding point and causes blood to ooze into intestines.

Possibility 2
Bleeding from upper gastro intestinal tract.Bleeding in the upper digestive tract tends to cause black,Ulcers or another form of irritation in your esophagus or stomach known as gastritis can cause bleeding. When the blood mixes with digestive fluids, it takes on the appearance of tar.
See the role of parietal cells in our stomach is to secrete acid.This acid helps in digestion of food.The upper lining of stomach is naturally lined by layer of mucosa which can tolerate acid very well.However when this acid refluxes back from stomach to esophagus,It causes erosion and damage of the mucosal layer of esophagus(it is not designed to tolerate acid).This erosion and damage leads to severe inflammation. From this inflammed surface mild to moderate amount of blood can be lost which when comes in contact with digestive juices turns tarry black.

Advice
Go for stool test for occult blood to make sure if black color of stool is due to blood.
Arestools loose or hard or normal?
How are your bowels due you feel constipated?
Please mention your food habits?
Alcoholic or smoker?
Nausea bloating belching loose stols?
Any supplements you are on?
Please revert back for better advice.
Thanks

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist