What causes dark brown discolouration in calf and shin?
Every time I get in the sun even with sunscreen, my skin gets darker and more splotchiness in areas of my lower legs and feet that don't have the dark brown skin. Sometimes there is redness and some swelling, but the ultrasound procedures didn't show any vascular problems this Spring. This has been going on for since 2008. Do you have any ideas?
Hello and thank you for your question.
It is possible that the radiation did cause some sensitivity in your skin. What you describe however sounds like old sun damage. Any of us who have had repeated sun exposures to our skin over years can get some sun damage to the skin. This can show up and dark splotches when we begin to get sun exposure. The best thing to do is to use sun screen. This will minimize the splotchiness.
It is good that you had the ultrasound and that it was negative.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What causes swollen legs and knot on calf
- What causes calf muscle spasms
- What causes swelling in calf
- What causes bruises on the calf muscles
- What causes twitching in calf and foot
- What causes swollen and warm calf
- What causes calf cramps
- What would cause my calf muscles to hurt
- What causes a lump in calf muscle
- What causes an indentation in calf muscle