• question-icon

What causes constipation while on milk of Magnesia?

Posted on Mon, 3 Jul 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I took 30 ml of MOM at 5AM. Nothing is happening. Can I take a stool softener in addition to the MOM?
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
yes...

Detailed Answer:

milk of magnesia is a stool softener but you can take another one, lactulose for example which is safe and efficient (usually). Remember that stool softeners do not act right away. They have to pass through the intestines to affect your stool which may take anything between few hours and a whole day. So your options are to either wait for milk of magnesia to act or use another stool softener. If you're having serious trouble with constipation then you'd better visit a gastroenterologist (or your primary care physician) for assessment and investigation (if required).

Other (more natural) things to help with the stool include drinking enough water, being physically active and having a regular 'toilet schedule' (that is to keep trying at a particular time that seems more convenient to you even if you don't feel like you have to go - for example every morning after breakfast).

I hope it helps!
Kind Regards!
Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis