• question-icon

What causes constipation and anal pain postpartum?

Posted on Fri, 14 Jul 2017 in Pregnancy
Question: Hello doctor,

My wife has delivered a baby 25 days back. Now she is having constipation like feeling and huge pain near her anus area since she went to motion around 1 hour back. Please let us know if there is any quick remedy to ease the pain?

Also, the gyneac at hospital had precribed "Looz" lotion for constipation, but since i did not find it in the pharmacy i bought Lactihep syrup by Cipla after the pharmacist suggestion. Please let us know if this is safe for a breastfeeding mother to consume?

Thanks,
XXXX XXXXXXX XXXX
Answered by Dr. Manisha Jain 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Pain due to straining

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome to HCM.Thanks for writing in to us with your health concerns. There might be superficial tear due to straining bcause of constipation. She can take Piclin syrup 3 teaspoon to soften her stools . As of now she can take unltracet tablet to reduce pain. Ask her to drink lots of water . It will help in milk production and relief from constipation.Regards Dr Manisha Jain.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Manisha Jain 8 minutes later
Thanks doctor for the reply. I have Lactihep syrup (Cipla company) at the moment, is that safe for both baby and mother?

Also, a family doctor suggested Wocaine 2% gel to be applied near Anus area. Is that good too?

Thanks,
XXXX XXXXXXX XXXX
Answered by Dr. Manisha Jain 21 hours later
Brief Answer:
Same syrup

Detailed Answer:
This syrup is same as prescribed and thus can be taken
Yes she can apply the gel locally to reduce pain
This gel should be specially applied just before passing stools
All the best

Dr. Manisha Jain

OBGYN