What causes constant wrist pain of left arm?

Posted on Sat, 14 Jun 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I have constant wrist pain on left arm. I am not able to hold heavy weights for longer periods. The joints starts hurting more when I hold this weight. What should I do?
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
I want little more detail about your problem?

Detailed Answer:
Hello ,
I have read your question and i will try my best to help you. I want to ask few questions to more clearly diagnose your problem.
1. Since when you are having this pain? Is there any history of trauma ?
2. Is it relieved or decreased on rest ?
3. Have you done any MRI or X ray?
Please send me answers of these questions. I will try my best to diagnose and treat your problem. Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma 11 minutes later
1. I have had this pain for last 4-5 months
2. Yes, I am using a wrist support from past 2 days and it seems to lessen the pain. But, it comes back as soon as I start flexing my wrist after removing the support.
3. No tests done so far.
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You need to get MRI

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXX,
Since this pain is present for long time and there is no relief I would suggest you to get MRI of the wrist. This is the best test for such problems.I have following conditions in my mind.
1. It can be wrist synovitis and fluid collection.
2. It can be a nerve compression or tenosynovitis.
A MRI will help is in diagnosing the condition. Please send me your MRI report scan copy. I will try my best to help you.Thanks.

Follow up: Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma 11 hours later
Thank you Doctor! I'll get an MRI soon.
I have a followup question regarding this issue.
When I use the wrist support or keep my arm at rest for a long time, the wrist kind of "locks" up. If I try to twist the palm, a huge breaking sound similar to that of breaking knuckles is heard. This happens all the time if the wrist is not in constant motion for more than 5mins.
I am worried since my right wrist has begun to show the same symptoms in a smaller scale though.
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma 22 hours later
Brief Answer:
I would suggest you to get MRI early

Detailed Answer:
IF there is only sound and no pain then it is not serious. This is common in some normal persons also. But still it is better if you get your MRI done. MRI will provide us information on the basis of which we can proceed further.
Thanks. Take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement