• question-icon

What causes constant fever despite taking medication?

Posted on Tue, 8 Aug 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: My son is suffering with fever 103-102 since yesterday dr has prescribed ibugesic plus but fever is constant after every 5 hr interval kindly advice
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Likely to be due to a viral cause.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through the details and understand your concern. Most often such symptoms are due to viral infections and antibiotics are ineffective in such cases. Irrespective of treatment it usually spontaneously resolves in 5-7 days. Some children are more prone to catching cold and recurrent episodes are seen. Often such viral infections manifest with fever. If your child has fever with temperature more than 100°F, you need to give paracetamol or acetaminophen (Crocin or Calpol) to it bring down. Also use tepid sponging. If paracetamol is not effective in bringing down the temperature, you can give Ibugesic Plus but I would not advise it to be used first line. If even that does not help, you need to use Meftal-P (mefenamic acid) which is more effective. If your child is otherwise active and playful, I would not be concerned. If not, it would be a good idea to visit a doctor and to get the child evaluated. Be sure to give plenty of fluids to drink.

Please be patient. It may take a few days for the recovery to occur. It should spontaneously resolve in 5-7 days.

Hopefully that would help. Feel free to write back in case of further queries.

Follow up: Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 1 hour later
Thank you dr for your help as we our dr has seen him and precribed ibugesic plus and we are giving him but fever is constant though my son is active and our dr started agumentin 625 duo but as per your advice antibiotics have no role in viral also please advice should we start meftal p insist of ibugesic plus as he is on ibugesic plus since yesterday but fever is still after every 5 hr interval pleas help sir
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please let me know the body weight of the child

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing back. I understand your situation. I had checked the attached blood report and that does not indicate presence of a bacterial infection. Unless there is a bacterial infection antibiotics would not help (similar to the fact that giving anticancer drugs will not help as your child does not have cancer, or, giving antiepileptics will not help as your son does not have epilepsy. Antibiotics are anti-bacterials).

I would insist on giving Meftal-P if required. Please let me know the body weight and I will let you know the requisite dose.

Follow up: Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 32 minutes later
His weight is 43 kg kindly also suggest the dosage of ibugesic or meftal p and how frequenty it can be given as i shared with you our dr suggested this medicine can be given after every 5-6 hr and also should we continue with antibiotics or not i have also obsrevd one thing when he got fever his palm and toe are comparitvely cold
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Half a tablet of 500 mg should be given when needed.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing back. You need to give him one half of Meftal-P 500 mg tablet when needed. It can be given at 8 hourly intervals if needed. Be sure to give it in full stomach.

You may continue the antibiotic since you have started the course. Complete the course but keep it in mind the next time you are in a similar scenario.

That his hands are cold indicates that he is in cold-stress. Keep him warm and give him plenty of fluids to drink.

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha