• question-icon

What causes constant ear popping?

Posted on Mon, 31 Jul 2017 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hi, I have been traveling through Europe and now the bone behind my right ear feels out of place. It hurts and sticks out a lot more than my left side. Could this be because of the traveling with my ears "popping" so many times in the last two weeks? I've been on planes and high speed trains so they have done it a lot. I don't have a fever or any other symptoms but my travel companion does.

Thank you so much.
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
External ear not related to the pressure changes you described

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome

I appreciate your concern

No, the " ear popping " you referred to is unrelated to the external ear and adjoining structures. The cartilage and mastoid needs to be examined for any swelling or deformity or lymph node enlargement. The ear, nose and throat should also be examined to look for any focus of infection. Treatment would depend on the cause accordingly.

Wishing you best of health

Thanks
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil