Owl Image

What causes constant acne?

Owl Image
Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha

Question
I keep getting acne all the time
Fri, 11 May 2018 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Due to excess of female hormones

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. I assume that you are a female. However, it would help if you could mention your age. Acne usually occurs due to excess of female hormones. I would need to ask if your periods are regular. Based on that certain pathologies like PCOD need to be ruled out.

You need to wash your face frequently with plain water. It will help in washing out the excess sebaceous secretions. When these secretions get accumulated, the secreting glands may get infected leading to acne.

Let me know if I could help further.

Follow-up: What causes constant acne? 6 hours later
Yes I am a female. My age is 32. My periods are normal and exact on date month on month.

The reason for my question was at this age getting acne appears weird. Should I get a test done for PCOD?

I an married without kids as of now.

Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 12 hours later
Brief Answer:
PCOD unlikley

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your inputs. Sorry for not being able to respond faster. The fact that your periods are regular is contrary to the possibility of having PCOD. You therefore need not get investigated. The very fact that you are married but without kids yet is directly linked to the fact of estrogen excess that I was talking about. You can discuss with your treating gynecologist about certain low dose hormonal pills that could possibly help.