• question-icon

What causes circular patches on the legs?

Posted on Mon, 10 Jul 2017 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I have this circular patches on both of my legs, below the sock line. I put oil on them daily to prevent them from becoming dry, else they become very itchy and get worse if scratched. Any particular reason why they occur, and why below the sock line on each leg?

What should I do to prevent or cure them?
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Dry eczema

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for the query and photograph. The details are not clear on photograph it is too far to appreciate any.
With the description and color it is looking like dry eczema.
It develops due to contact, probably due to elastic in your socks
Wear socks without elastic.
I treat such cases with a mild steroid cream like cortisone to be applied twice daily for a week.
It is safe and effective and usually available over the counter.
You can try this.
Let me know if you have any other doubts.
Thank you.
Dr. Rahul Kumar

Dermatologist