• question-icon

What causes chest discomfort when diagnosed with arrhythmogenic right ventricular cardiomyopathy?

Posted on Tue, 8 Aug 2017 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I was diagnosed with ARVC 4 years ago, have had VTach and have an ICD in place and have been shocked 9 times... I'm having discomfort in the sternum area and was wondering if this could be due to a dilated right ventricle
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
I would recommend as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome and thank you for asking on HealthcareMagic!

Regarding your concern, I would explain that the chest discomfort is not related to the ARVC or dilated right ventricle, because they do not hurt.

But, it could be related to different possible causes: inflammation related to the ICD, chest muscles or soft tissues inflammation, gastro-esophageal reflux or even coronary artery disease.

Does deep breathing or body movements trigger your pain? This would indicate possible musculo-skeletal pain. In such case ibuprofen would help relieve the pain and this would be another argument in favor of musculo-skeletal inflammation.

Have you tried taking an antiacid or Omeprazole? If it helps relieve the chest discomfort, it would be indicative of gastro-esophageal reflux. In such case a fibrogastroscopy would be needed.

Anyway, considering your past medical history, I would recommend consulting with your doctor and performing some tests to investigate for the possible causes:

- a chest X ray study
- complete blood count, ESR, PCR for inflammation
- a resting ECG and cardiac enzymes
- a cardiac ultrasound

A cardiac stress test may be needed to investigate for possible coronary artery disease, especially if suspicions on such disorder are raised.

Hope you will find this answer helpful! Feel free to ask further.

Kind regards,

Dr. Iliri

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist