What causes cerebral edema in an elderly person?

Dr. Neeraj Kumar

Neurologist

Posted on Thu, 8 Dec 2016 in Headache and Migraines
Question: Dear Sir,
My grandmother age around 90 is recently suffered with stroke and doctor examines by citi scan and found some water in brain they are talking about blood clouting as well pls suggest best treatment on this its very urgent to its 4th day she in comma. earlier my brother whwo isthere suggested she were moving her legs but now no such observation. pl reply ASAP. thank you.

XXXX
XXXX 0000
Answered by Dr. Neeraj Kumar 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Prognosis de;pends upon various clinical and lab patrameters

Detailed Answer:
I have gone through your question and understand your concerns.
The clinical condition at this age depends upon the extent of involvement and associated damage to brain.
The clinical condition deteriorates after 2-3 days due to increasing brain edema.
CT may not give true picture and MRI may be needed.
Co-morbid illness also leads to poor condition.
Provide reports too.
The prognosis depends upon various parameters like diabetes, hypertension, cardiac illness.
Hope you found the answer helpful.
Do get back to me for further queries.
Dr N Kumar
Neurologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Neeraj Kumar 38 minutes later
Dear Sir,

I hope you have gone thru the reports, since I'm not actually near patients so not sure why MRI is not done, pls let me know what medication to be followed further as she has not improved yet. What can be done further, is this could be a risk? do we don't have any new technology to remove clouting of blood in brain because doctors in XXXXXXX not saying much on this.
They have done some surgery also to remove water from brain.
pl call me in case if you can.
what is this comorbid illness?

thanks for your time.

rgds
XXXX
Answered by Dr. Neeraj Kumar 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Give reports and other details

Detailed Answer:
Mri is delayed if patient condition is not good as it requires time.
Blood thinner agents are given in case of thrombosis. Surgery has been done to shunt excess fluid collection.
Drugs needs to be provided along with other blood reports and CT report to comment any changes.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad