What causes burning sensation in the stomach and flatulence?

Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Wed, 5 Apr 2017 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Question: Hello
I am wondering if you can help me out. I am a 45 yr old women fairly healthy yesterday I noticed I had a burning stomach after lunch this went on and off as well as agassy feeling ... had dinner only to have it return ... I don't usually suffer from burning although I do suffer from ibs and gas .. this morning I was fine and after lunch I noticed it again very slight went away and had my berries and it is back I cannot get in to see my gp till Saturday is there anything I can try I recently has a ultrasound done nothing significant to report ...
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Dyspepsia most likely

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for choosing HealthcareMagic for your query,

I've gone through all your details and appreciate your concern.

Most likely, the problem you are having is called Dyspepsia.

Dyspepsia, in layman's language is known as indigestion. It is a term that describes discomfort or pain in the upper abdomen. However, it's not a disease in itself. Dyspepsia is a group of symptoms which often include bloating, nausea and heartburn.

As the onset in your case is acute(one day history) Most likely cause of indigestion is due to either overeating or taking over oily or fatty food. Anxiety or intake of alcohol or aerated beverages can also cause the symptoms.

As ultra sound done recently was normal, I would suggest you not to worry too much.

Take a proton pump inhibitor like Esomeprazole 40 mg twice daily along with a prokinetic drug (eg.Domperidone) for 3 days. This will provide you symptomatic relief from symptoms of dyspepsia (you may need to obtain prescription for this from your local physician).

Antacid like Pepto bismol can be taken for few days along with it.
Any over counter probiotic should be taken for few days to provide relief in symptoms of indigestion.

Apart from this, some dietary restrictions are to be followed-

- Avoid alcohol or smoking.
- No aerated beverages.
- Take light non spicy easily digestible food for few days.
- No Fast food like pizza or burger should be taken.
- Drink a cup of cold milk daily.
- Avoid fatty foods.

If not relieved in 5 days, an endoscopy may be planned to rule out any peptic ulcers or H.pylori infection(Very unlikely) after visiting your Physician.

Hope I've answered your query.
Feel free to ask any follow up questions.

Regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Ramesh Kumar 30 minutes later
Hello
Thank u for responding ... I don't eat fatty or fried foods I am wondering if perhaps it is what u have indicated has bloating and acid ... I did eat cheese and turkey as well as berries all high in acidity but never had this issue before I eat berries daily but not the turkey and cheese perhaps this set it off
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Follow up advice.

Detailed Answer:
Hi again,

Bloating and acid can be caused by any kind of food. In most of the cases, it's fatty foods which cause these symptoms. Any food whether it's fat or protein or complex carbohydrate when can not be properly digested, releases large amount of gases like hydrogen, methane, carbon dioxide which causes burping.

In the same way, any product which stimulates or irritates the mucosa of stomach will cause increased secretion of acid causing gastritis (lay mans explanation so that you can easily understand).

Turkey has high fat contents while cheese is a well known culprit causing acidity and gases.

Just don't panic. Do what i suggested earlier for 3 days and most likely you will be fine.

In hope i answered you query. In case you need any other professional advice feel free to ask.
Regards.