What causes burning sensation and rash in upper lip area after shaving?

Dr. Klarida Papaqako

Posted on Mon, 6 Jun 2016 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: What's happening above my lip. Almost3 weeks ago I was using abreva all over my lips and licking the top lip a lot, I also shaved the top lip with an electric shaver. I noticed a pink line along my upper lip. After a few days it seems to get worse. And 3 weeks later it's red and burning. I've seen 3 doctors, they all said it's just chapped but it won't heal. I use the hydrocortisone but it only help until it comes off then I'm back to square one. The dermatologist said it was erythema? What is it and how do I get rid of it
Answered by Dr. Klarida Papaqako 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Erythema means redness. Hydrocortisone will help to get rid of it.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for using HCM,
I read your question and I understand your concern.

It would help me a lot if you upload an updated picture of your lips (I saw the picture you have uploaded some days ago).

In general it is common in people who lick their lips to develop irritation/dry lips. The term erythema means redness, and it generalized for all the red lesions.

Seems like the hydrocortisone is working, so I would recommend to continue using it regularly until the lesion goes away.
At the same time drink plenty of fluids (because dehydration may cause that) and avoid licking your lips if possible.

There is nothing else you can apply to your lips, unless you see that the line has secretions and is getting infected. In that case you may need to add an antibiotic cream, but that happens very rarely.

Hope this is helpful.
Let me know if you need more clarifications.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Klarida Papaqako 1 hour later
it seems to flare up over night after washing off the cream before bed. should I be using it over night as well? how long should healing take, it's already been 2 weeks
Answered by Dr. Klarida Papaqako 24 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes, you can use the cream over night as well.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for the photos.

I would recommend to use the cream twice/day, thin layer for 2 other weeks.

Yes, the application before sleeping should not be washed off.

Also, follow the advises given above.

Dr. Papaqako
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Klarida Papaqako 5 minutes later
it seems to be burning today. would icing it be a bad idea? how will the hydrocortisone clear it up, it only seems to help temporarily?
Answered by Dr. Klarida Papaqako 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Icing can calm it down, but would not heal it

Detailed Answer:
Hello again,

Icing would not help because it is not a burn wound. It may calm it down, but would not heal it, but may make it worse if you ice it too much.

It is a lesion created from dryness. Hydrocortisone would help keep it moist and also lower the inflammation and the redness.

If you think it is not helping, you can also try to put a antibiotic cream over it for some days and see if it helps (Tripple antibiotic cream) it will keep it moisturized, and treat possible infection.

Looking forward to your follow up question or update.