Is depigmentation on the inner side of the lips a cause for concern?

Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist

Posted on Fri, 18 May 2018 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hello,

I had a scab near my mouth following dryness and it fell off and it appears whitish now. My inner upper lip also looks hypo-pigmented. I have had allergies and a sore mouth previously. Doctors seemed uncertain. At the emergency, another doctor told me it could be a viral infection that would go on its own. I had been prescribed anti-allergens and my family doctor gave me an anti-fungal mouthwash also. But the soreness took some time to disappear, and it gradually decreased on its own. Recently my family doctor had a look and told me the hypo-pigmentation does not seem serious and it is most probably due to the skin trauma. I would like to get the opinion of an experienced dermatologist here for the same.
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Kindly upload images, please

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you for asking,
I am Dr. Kakkar (Dermatologist and Venereologist). I have noted your concern.

Perhaps you have developed either post inflammatory hyperpigmentation/depigmentation Or lip vitiligo.

I'd request you to kindly upload an image/photograph of the affected area in the "Reports Section" of this web-page so that I am able to confirm and guide you better.

Awaiting...

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 22 hours later
I have attached two images. I hope these help. Please let me know more close-up images are needed. I have had skin peeling as well from time to time. I'm in a new environment with a very cold climate, temperatures are in -10 to -20 nowadays. Could that be a reason? Thank you very much for answering.

Thank you
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 13 hours later
Brief Answer:
Vitiligo

Detailed Answer:
Thank you. I have viewed the images.

I can see that you have depigmentation of the mucous lining/inner side of lips as well as some of the skin at the right side of angle of mouth. This is clearly vitiligo. I suggest you to apply a topical tacrolimus 0.1 %ointment, twice daily. It is a prescription drug.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj