What causes a rash on the middle region of the upper lip?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jan 2014
Jan 2014

Dermatologist
Question
Hello doctor
This is XXXX, since today I am noticing a rash in the middle region of the upper lip sometimes this is on one side sometimes this is on another side both side sometimes it looks more red sometimes less red . The sensation is Ali's gainer Ines painful like pimple coming sometimes slightly itchy . What is this doctor ? I have attached pics please help me , what should I do I am very scared
Fri, 27 Apr 2018 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Use a hydrocortisone cream

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXXXX Thank you.

I have viewed the images.
Perhaps this is due to a minor irritation from cosmetics or toothpaste.
Doesn't seem to be too concerning as the redness is not very noticeable in the images.
I suggest you to use hydrocortisone cream, twice daily. This should be fine

Follow-up: What causes a rash on the middle region of the upper lip? 4 hours later
Hello doctor
Please take a look into the pictures
1) before meals I applied sebamed lip balm as my lips felt very dry
2) after meals the lips became red especially in certain part as seen in pictures also the right side lower vermillion border is red and the right side side lower lips is dry and feels irritated
3) normal meal I had nothing new
4) if I can apply hydrocortisone cream then can I keep it overnight or for how long
5) I am so scared of herpes doctor please help me , the pictures look scary in some in some it looks normal ( I must say some photos were taken with flash on ( especially ones were lips loook brighter)

helli dictor
the redness which i attachedvin the last photos came down a litlle bit but there are two things botherin me
1) in the atached pic in the uper lip what is tis two small pimple like the same pimple like is in other places in the upper lip also u can see in the pic whats that its scary

2) the right side lower vermillion border feels like tape attached toit i mean to say ts very dry .. as of now since i did not get any reply from you i am apying hydrocortisone cream on the upper lip m shaped part and t he right side vermiion boder i am very much scared whats this doctor...
3) its been 10 days since the suspected expsure incident please hel p me

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
Fordyce spots on upper lip

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

The little bumps on the upper lip are Fordyce spots which are nothing by ectopic sebaceous glands without an opening to the surface so they appear as yellow bumps. They are harmless. You have these since last many weeks since i am answering your earlier queries. Its not herpes labialis/ cold sores.
You may continue with hydrocortisone cream and moisturizing lip balm on lower lips. The tightness that you feel is because of dryness of lower lip vermilion.

Follow-up: What causes a rash on the middle region of the upper lip? 13 hours later
Hello doctor
I have attached few pictures along the pictures f my gums ( I know gum related problems are to be consulted with dentist but my gums have turned red today especially the ones which I did deep cleaning two weeks back , and it's hurting a full aching pain ) it's just the normal gum problem or something else , you know about my scare for herpes .

Brief Answer:
Not herpes

Detailed Answer:
Thank you. I have viewed the images.

Cheilitis looks flared up in some of the images. I suggest you to use a moderately potent topical steroid e.g fluticasone propionate 0.05% cream (flutivate cream). It is a predisposition medicine. Cortisone cream doesn't seem to be doing much good. As far as the gum are concerned I have viewed the images and it doesn't look like herpes. Gums when involved in herpes (herpetic gingivostomatitis) are swollen, red and would have ulcers/ sores. I can see anything like that in here. So its not related to herpes. Kindly contact your dentist.

Follow-up: What causes a rash on the middle region of the upper lip? 27 hours later
Hello doctor
For the past two days I have been having kind of pain more like a pulling sensation in the inside the lower lip the ( lower lip frenulum). When I looked the start of the skin for the gyms to the lips is red . I am scared now could you please take a look at it and tell me . I know it needs to be consulted with the dentist but I thought I will.ask you first and then the dentist . Pleas help me

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Stomatitis

Detailed Answer:
thank you. I have viewed the images.

I would keep a diagnosis of stomatitis - inflammation of oral mucous membrane - but it doesn't look herpetic gingivostomatitis. I would suggest an antiseptic mouth wash, twice or thrice daily and a B Complex multivitamin e g Cap Becosule once daily. Kindly contact your dentist for any modification to the above.