• question-icon

What causes burning pain near the waist?

Posted on Wed, 12 Jul 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Hello. I have a slightly burning / aching pain in the right side, located more to the right back, at the level of my waist. It has been present for about 1 month - over that time it has been intermittent but for the last several days it is more generally present than not. No other urinary symptoms, no fever. History of very occasional UTI's and last year had an episode of pyelonephritis in the right kidney. Family history (father & sister) of renal cell CA. I have an old fracture at L4-L5 that is and has always been stable. I have no chronic disease and am a fit and healthy 57 y/o woman. I am a RN. I have an annual physical scheduled Monday July 17; if nothing changes, would you recommend waiting or seeing my Dr before this?
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Wait and see your doctor as planned on July 17!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks so much for this query.

I have reviewed your information fully. There are no immediate red flags that require prompt evaluation. It is totally reasonable and okay to wait for the upcoming appointment, Use this opportunity to ask for review and evaluation.

In the meantime, tylenol and physical therapy for pain management is advised, If the pain however worsens or other symptoms such as urinary frequency/urgency, blood in urine, fever, etc set in, kindly report to me for further evaluation and insights on way forward.

I hope this helps. I wish you well. Feel free to follow up with me as need be.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Chobufo Ditah