What causes blood in urine?

Posted on Fri, 27 Apr 2018 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: Woke up yesterday morning with blood in urine and it’s bloody everytime I go to the bathroom especially this morning
Answered by Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
A number of causes

Detailed Answer:
Dear Ma'am, I have gone through your question and I understand your concerns but this could due to a number of causes such as:
1) urinary tract infection or kidney infection ( pyelonephritis) . this can be diagnosed by a urine analysis that will detect pus cells in addition to the red blood cells . if the urine analysis was suggestive of an infection then should be followed by a culture and sensitivity test to detect which antibiotic will treat the infection best.
2) a kidney or ureteric stone. which can be diagnosed by a pelvic ultrasound and can be treated by lithotripsy to break the stone into pieces and let it pass with urine
3) a kidney or bladder tumor which can be diagnosed by pelvic ultrasound or ct scan..
I hope you find this helpful
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Salah Saad Shoman