What causes burning on both legs with sciatica like symptoms?

Posted on Mon, 15 Jun 2015 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I had total knee replace surgery 4 months ago. Almost immediately after the surgery I developed bilateral sciatica with severe burning in both my feet. I have steroids, 4 months of PT, 2 epidural injections and I am currently seeing an acupuncturist. The steroids gave me 2 days of relief and then things got worse. The first injection brought some relief, the second none. My P Therapist is treating me very conservatively because almost everything we do causes the burning to start. Acupuncture has helped greatly with the leg and backside throbbing but my feet burn daily and the pain intensifies at night. I take a Percocet every night to get some relief so that I can get at least some sleep. As for the knee, I still have pain bending it and can get to a 115 degree bend. I managed 120 for about a week but have taken a step backwards to the 115. The knee is stiff most of the time. I can't do stair, can not kneel and have trouble getting up from a seated position. My gait is close to normal but not quite right. The more pain I have the worse it gets. I have done everything I have been asked to as far as exercising the knee. I am very frustrated and I am worried that I may have nerve damage. What can you suggest.
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
you may need MRI spine to see severity of nerve compression

Detailed Answer:
Hello
I have read your query.
burning on both legs with sciatica like symptoms suggests spinal nerve compression or canal stenosis.
I will advise you MRI spine and further investigation like CBC, ESR, CRP test.
continue gradual knee exercises.
Physiotherapy like ultrasound and matrix therapy may help you.
Take neurotropic medication like pregabalin and methylcobalamine consulting your doctor.
have you done colour doppler to see venous congestion/clot in vessels.
I hope I have answered your questions. If you have further questions please feel free to contact us. I will be happy to answer. Take care.
Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi

Orthopaedic Surgeon