What causes bruise on the penis?

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician

Posted on Fri, 18 Aug 2017 in Lump
Question: My 12 year old son fell onto the handle bar of his scooter. He has a swollen bruise just above and to the left of his penis and testicles. He is in a great deal of pain when he extends his leg straight. He can walk (with a limp) I am wondering if there are specific symptoms I should look for that would indicate the need for a visit to the emergency room. I have him resting with ice 20 minutes on/off.
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Ibuprofen would better be avoided

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone through your query carefully and understand your concerns. I have checked the image.

I can make out the area and can see the bruise. You are doing the right thing by applying ice.

However, I would also insist on giving Paracetamol or Acetaminophen for pain. It would be better to leave out Ibuprofen as it could increase the possibility of bleeding. However, it would be a good idea to visit the emergency room if you find anything out of place.

A rapidly enlarging swelling could indicate an underlying bleeding and should be promptly attended to. Feeling pale and feeble could also indicate unidentified internal bleeding. Look out for anything else that seems out of place and visit the ER accordingly.

Let me know if I could help further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee