What causes brown spots on left foot?

Posted on Sat, 20 Dec 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I am noticing brown spots on my left foot with it slowly making its way to my ankle. I noticed it about a week ago but thought nothing of it. I also am noticing dry itchy spots on my genitals. And now there is a pain on my tongue as well as my left lymph node showing a white lining, more so last week than today. I don't have a sore throat, but when swallowing chips or something of that nature, it will hurt from time to time. Seeing a doctor this coming week but wanted to know if you could help me. My last sexual was early september.
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Additional data is needed....

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX XXXXX,

I have gone through the photo you provided and I should admit that I need further details to get a definite answer:
- are the sports flat?
- do you suffer of varicose vein (deep vein thrombosis?)
- does your work require to stay in standing position for long periods?
- do you go barefoot?

Looking forward to have the info in for further specific answers.

Dr.Albana
Follow up: Dr. Albana Sejdini 1 hour later
The spots are flat and seem a tiny bit raised when grazing my hand over them. I do not suffer from any kind of vein problems to my knowledge. It is the same foot I suffered a stress fracture from, 5 years ago. I am on my feet a lot and am a professional dancer. I do dance barefoot and have little to no arch, so I use orthodox which may need to be changed out.
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 21 hours later
Brief Answer:
Check blood sugar/uric acid levels...

Detailed Answer:
Hi back,

Thank you for providing more details on your follow up query.

As you are not suffering of any vein problem, then, I'd like to know if:
- you are having problems with high blood sugar/uric acid levels?
- any metabolic problem (e.g. with thyroid gland)?

The main goal is to :
1. Find out what is causing such brown itchy spots (local/internal/metabolic)? To achieve this, I advise to:
- run Doppler ultrasound of blood vessels in the legs
- microscopic examination of skin scrapping
- measure: blood sugar levels and uric acid levels
- thyroid function test

2. Determine the right treatment (treat the underlying condition apart symptomatic treatment).

For the moment, I'd advise to:
- keep good hygiene of your feet
- avoid standing for long periods
- apply anti-itch cream and calamine lotion locally

Hope it helped!
Dr.Albana
Follow up: Dr. Albana Sejdini 21 hours later
Thank you, i think it definitely has to do with long periods of standing which will be hard to avoid, but i bought some cortisone and calamine and will continue to treat and clean before going to bed. As far as the other symptoms go, are the happening of of the result of my feet?

Dry and itchy scrotum
bump on tongue, making my tongue irratable

Thank you for your help!
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 26 hours later
Brief Answer:
Photos are required for further evaluations as following....

Detailed Answer:
Hi back,

Thank you for your follow up queries.

It is good that you started cortisone and calamine cream locally and keep good hygiene of your feet.

With regards to other symptoms you are experiencing (dry and itchy scrotum), they are not related to feet problems.

You can send a photo of your scrotum for further evaluations. Dry and itchy scrotum is related to possible fungal infection. You can :
- apply anti-fungal cream
- keep a good local hygiene
- use hypoallergic moisturizing liquid soap

With regards to the bump on your tongue, you can send another photo to me for further evaluation:
- it might be located at the site where saliva pathways are and might be due to stones
- if there is pus/discharge, it might be due to infection.

Looking forward to have the photos and additional medical data in!
Dr.Albana
Follow up: Dr. Albana Sejdini 25 hours later

I think the cream and soaking of my feet at night are working. The spots are becoming less dark i think but i will no for sure with more time.

I was going to send a picture of the bump on my tongue but that seems to have vanished and my tongue feels much better.

I have a picture of my scrotum area tho with its dry itchy patches.

Thank you so much for all of your help and Happy Turkey day!
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 48 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Tinea cruris to rule out by microscopic examination of skin scrapping

Detailed Answer:
Hi back,

I am happy to hear that the spots on your feet are becoming less dark. For sure, by passing of time (after 2 weeks), they'd be gone.

I have gone through the picture of your scrotum you sent in, and I admit it was difficult for me to notice the dry itchy patches.

Anyway, from what I've seen, I've noted hairless, white patches on the scrotum, possible indicative for eczema or lichen planus. I'd advise to run microscopic examination of the skin scrapping from the affected area to rule out fungal infection (jock itching or tinea cruris).

If you cannot manage to run such examination, I'd advise to apply local cream containing terbinafine. You can find them as over the counter at your local pharmacy. If you won't see any improvement in 1 week time, you should discuss this further with dermatologist and to run skin biopsies.

Hope it was of help!
Dr.Albana
Follow up: Dr. Albana Sejdini 43 hours later
Thank you so much for all of your help and hopefully this will all go away soon. Sending you a better pic as i have noticed discoloration on the shaft area. Will the coloring come back?
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Possibly,tinea cruris;advised anti-fungal therapy first...

Detailed Answer:
Hi back,

Thank you for providing additional photo. From what I've noted, it looks like tinea cruris (fungal infection of the groin). I advise to start antifungal therapy as advised earlier for the first 2 weeks. If no improvement, should discuss it further with dermatologist and run biopsy and other tests as advised earlier.

Hope it was of help!
Dr.Albana
Dr. Albana Sejdini